Makar Sankranti is celebrated all around the
Country 🇮🇳 on 14th Jan, it's called Pongal in south India and Makar Sankranti in rest of the country. The day is dedicated to worshiping of Lord Surya, as it marks Sun's transit in makar grah and starts of spring in the country. 🍀🥀🌹🌱🌸💐
Think of Makar Sankranti and you recall people yelling out loud ‘Kai-Po-Che’ and ‘lapet lapet’🤙🤙 with enthusiasm...🕺🕺
There are various ways the festival is celebrated, the most popular being kite flying done all around the west of India. 🎡
Makar Sankranti comes along with colorful decorations, fairs or meals,🍝 bonfires, feast and kite flying. 🍜🎠
Special food is prepared for the day like undhiyu and chikkis for sweet treats, which is made with peanuts 🥜🥜 or sesame seeds or even puffed rice and there are some special Chiki that is made using nuts. Chiki is usually made with jaggery which is a better source of sugar at as it is the raw form where the molasses and sugar crystals are not separated, making it high in nutrients.
The do’s and don't for the day:
- Do Surya namashkar
- Pray to lord Surya to ward off all negativity
- Start your day eating til-gud, that is sesame chiki cooked in jaggery.🥜🥜
- While flying kite, stay safe on the terrace,👉 have sunscreen applied, stay hydrated, wear sunglasses.😎
- Watch out for birds and make sure they are safe while flying kites.
- While driving bikes cover the neck and drive to protect from thread cuts.
“Enjoyment is important but it should come with safety so do take care do's and don'ts given above and have a very safe and Joyce Makar Sankranti”
Whenever we talk about Makar Sankranti one thing that is a must is eating undhiyu 🍲🥗, and those who are on dieting or health conscious I very afraid with the amount of oil that is normally used while making undhiyu.
👉Here I am giving you some quick tips on how to make your Indu more healthy 🥗yet delicious: 💁
- You can bake the Methi muthiya used in the undhiyu.
- You can increase⬆️amount of green veggies that go in the undhiyu, and reduce⬇️ the amount of potatoes used.
- Use the extra amount of parsley instead🔄 of coriander as it is a natural diuretic and helps in weight loss.
- Mostly undhiyu is accompanied by Puri 🔄 and jalebi and to make it a healthy meal you can skip the Puri and still relish the small piece of jalebi with it.🔄
- You can cook the undhiyu in olive oil.✔️
- Yams and sweet potatoes can be boiled 🔁 instead of Frying before adding it to the vegetable in order to make undhiyu healthy.
“🎭 Makar Sankranti marks a new beginning, to begin the year with something sweet and healthy and stay fit all year round”🎭